With our trip wrapping up, we are sorry to leave New Orleans. It was so much more than I expected. It was never on my radar but had always been my Mom’s dream to see the Mississippi river and I am so glad that we did. We have had such a great time, from the music to the food to the people. We met such great people all the way through our trip. The French Quarter is such a great part of the city to walk and lots of places to shop and people watch.
Here are some tips to make your trip easier.
- Book your tours in advance, there were many people getting turned away when we were picking up our tickets.
- If you are taking the River Boat Cruise on the Natchez sit on the left hand side of the boat. As they leave the dock, they will talk about what you are passing.
- When you get off the river boat, turn left and take the Riverwalk to the outlet mall. This is the only place you can walk on the river in New Orleans.
- Go for a drink in the courtyard at Pat O’Briens. It’s great to get away from the crowds and listen to the fountain. The Hurricane cocktail originated from this restaurant. They also have a dueling piano bar.
- Check out Bourbon Street, it’s like Spring Break every day.
- If you want to listen to good New Orleans jazz go to Frenchman Street and stop at the Spotted Cat. Small venue but some great musicians.
- If you want to get a good picture of Jackson Square, go across the street and you can get a great picture of the church and the square.
- If you are looking for art work, check out Jackson Square. Here you can talk to the artists and buy your favorite piece.
- If you are interested in history check out the 1850 house on Jackson Square. It costs $3.00 to go into the house that has been setup as a small museum to see how they lived in 1850.
- Take a plantation tour. If you love history, it will be worth the trip. It will take you out of the city to see the bayou and Lake Pontchartrain.
I hope that my blogs have sparked your interest in New Orleans. We will definitely be going back! If you want to plan your own vacation to this wonderful destination please don’t hesitate to reach out to our team.