March 12, 2020
We know the unknown of COVID-19 is causing concern. We want you to know that as your partner and advocate, we are doing everything we can to reduce the stress of the situation as it pertains to your business and personal travel. We receive daily updates from our vendors and partners. Our team is staying informed of changing schedules and updated cancellation/insurance policies as they are being released.
We advise that travelers take the following precautions – en route or at home:
- Avoid handshaking! Use a fist bump, nod, namaste, etc.
- Use your knuckle to touch light switches, elevator buttons, etc.
- Lift gasoline dispensers or door handles with a paper towel or closed fist when possible. You can opt into using gloves as well.
- Use disinfectant wipes when available: Example, at the stores including the handle and child seat in grocery carts.
- Travel with disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizer for the times when it is not provided.
- Be sure to get the tray table and arm rests on planes!
- Be sure to get the steering wheel in your vehicles (and rental cars)
- Use as appropriate when out shopping, getting gas, dining out, etc.
- Wash your hands often and be sure to wash them with warm water for 20+ seconds. When you do not have access to soap and water, use hand sanitizer frequently.
- If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more.
- Wash your clothing and sheets frequently. Especially if you find yourself coughing/sneezing into them.
- Use common remedies like ColdFX, echinacea or similar, as directed when you begin to feel ANY cold-like symptoms beginning.
- Avoid large gatherings, perhaps except ones where all can be considered to have observed these protocols.
The links below have additional details from our partners and are being updated frequently. The Uniglobe Carefree Travel Group team is receiving updates as well and monitoring the situation to best assist our clients:
- Air Canada (as of March 12)
- Summary: Waiving change fees for all new bookings until March 31, 2020. Waiving change fees for travel booked before March 4, 2020 with an original travel date before April 30, 2020.
- Air Canada News Page re COVID-19
- Delta (as of March 12)
- Summary: Waiving change fees for all flight/destinations ticketed on or before March 9, for travel through April 30 (to/from Europe through May 31), to any date before Dec 31.
- Delta News page re COVID-19
- WestJet (as of March 12)
- Summary: All new flight bookings made between March 3, 2020 and March 31, 2020 will be allowed a one-time change fee waiver. For flights booked before March 3, 2020 for travel in March or April 2020 there is a $0 one-time fee waiver for changes or cancellations.
- WestJet News Page re COVID-19
If we have assisted, you with your hotel booking. Please let us know any hotel cancellation you may have and we will reach out to the hotels on your behalf.
We will communicate with the conferences regarding any cancellations we receive. Every conference is different, and we are happy to gather information and cancel conferences for our clients as well.
- Viking – Policy UpdateCancel for any reason and receive future cruise credit. Viking suspends all cruises through April 30.
- Princess Cruise Line All voyages departing March 12 to May 10 have been paused. Guests have the opportunity to transfer 100% of the money paid for their cancelled cruise to a future cruise of their choice.
- Holland America – Book with Confidence policy(cancel for any reason and receive future cruise credit)
- Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection Today they decided to suspend all European itineraries until April 23rd. Existing bookings for this time period have the option to rebook for 2020 or 20201 cruises or receive a future cruise credit to be used during the next 24 months. For bookings after April 23rd, guests can now cancel up to 14 days prior to their cruise and rebook on any 2020 or 2021 cruise without penalty or have the option to rebook with one of their TTC sister brands—from Trafalgar to Insight Vacations—for 2020 to 2021.
**If your cruise line is not listed, please reach out to your agent for specifics.
If you have any questions regarding your existing insurance policy or would like to add travel insurance to your booking please reach out to our agents for the most up-to-date information.
Many of our travel industry partners have made changes to their change and cancellation policies. As this information changes regularly we encourage you to reach out to your Uniglobe Travel Agent for details applicable to the trip you have booked or are planning to book.
Health & Govt Info
- World Health Organization (WHO) Situation Reports
Daily reports of case numbers by country/Region and key news on spread
- US Centers for Disease Control (CDC) Travel Information Page
Resources regarding travel, high risk locations, precautions and FAQs
- Canadian Government Travel warning re COVID-19
Whatever your travel plans are, we encourage you to reach out to our team for answers to any of your questions at this time.